4.29.2008

One Month Old Today!

I can't believe it's been a month since she was born! It went by really fast. It certainly had its ups and downs. Breastfeeding was no fun that first week. Nobody prepared me for that. There were many tears. Also, no one told me I'd feel like a truck hit me. I was so sore and felt helpless for a while. I'm so glad I don't feel that way anymore, but I sure understand what my cousin was talking about when she blogged about "phantom pains".

It was nice having the grandmas helping out those first two weeks. But boy, did I miss them that third week on my own. I was so exhausted and frustrated, and many more tears fell. I didn't know Aleena was used to being held the whole day which meant I couldn't take a nap, shower or eat without her crying if I put her down. When I would get her to nap, I would quietly sneak her in her room and put her down in her crib. Two minutes later she would wake up crying. The last week was the best, and I saw a glimmer of hope. Aleena and I got used to being together all day and had our little routine down. I found a way to nap while she napped by holding her and learned to sleep upright. I also learned to take a shower while Matt was still home. And then I found some easy to prepare lunches and snacks so I can eat in a hurry before she screamed. It truly started to be a joy being a mother. What made me feel more confident and at peace was when we started our daily scripture reading (this usually puts her to sleep), and singing her these songs, "I Am A Child of God", "Families Can Be Together Forever" and "Love One Another". I definitely feel the spirit and feel less frazzled.

To celebrate her being one month, we went out by ourselves for the first time. We went to Target. She cried the whole way there. She hates being in her car seat. Then I put her in the sling, and she cried the whole time in the store. I was sad, I wanted to have more time to look. She was quiet in her car seat on the way home, so I decided to take a chance and go to South Coast Plaza. I didn't put her back in the sling, and opted to carry her. She certainly was quiet the whole time. We went to Sephora and found a nice lip gloss and a perfume that I'd love to have someday. We also went to Williams-Sonoma to buy a gift for a friend who subbed for me in Primary. A few people stopped to asked how old she was and thought she was pretty. On our way out I stopped in Godiva Chocolatier and couldn't help but get a chocolate, raspberry frozen drink. It was delicious! I sat and drank by the carousel and watched the little kids with their moms enjoying the ride. I felt blessed to have a little girl of my own. I looked down at her sweet little face and noticed she had fallen asleep. I was so glad I made the decision to be her mommy. It was the best feeling in the world. Here's to being one month Aleena!!


3 comments:

Billy and Katie said...

Goldie, she is so beautiful! You are a wonderful mommy. I always wondered wy nobody told me about the pain I'd be in after I'd had Lia. The good news is with your second baby you're prepared and it is so much easier.

Mary Beth said...

Wow, a month already?!

Those first few weeks are such a hard adjustment- but good for you for finding joy in the simple things! I think a choclate raspberry frozen drink would fix about rough day!

I remember feeling like I was never going to get anything done after my babies were born. I started writing things like "take a shower", "get dressed" and "make dinner" on my to-do lists so that I felt like something was getting acccomplished! It does get better, though!

The Carroll's said...

I can't believe she's been here a month already!! She is so cute in her little pink dress!