10.29.2010

Old Lady

I'm feeling really geriatric right now. I just got news from my doctor that I have gall stones. A little surprising since I don't think I eat terribly. I've had two attacks which have seized my body and caused the most excruciating pain. Worse than a contraction while in labor, because it doesn't seem to go away after it reaches the peak of pain. No, this pain stays awhile and has me laying on the floor writhing.

This attack happened two years ago this month. We had just flown in from visiting family in Virginia and we went to eat at a taco stand in L.A. Moments after eating I felt like I was getting heartburn (an ailment I was accustomed to while being pregnant with Aleena). Within a minute it felt like a bubble behind my ribs that needed to burst and then a squeezing of pain occurred. The pain escalated. I told Matt to drive me to the store to get me Pepcid AC to help relieve the pain, since I thought it was heartburn.

While he was in the store I felt worse. Cold sweats, nausea, excruciating pain. I thought I should go to the ER but I didn't know where one was, since we weren't near home. I took the medicine, then had Matt gave me a blessing. Within moments I felt the need to spew (I like that word better than vomit). Luckily Matt found something for me to spew into, and thank goodness. Afterwards I felt so much better. I thought it was just food poisoning, but my sister thought I was pregnant.

That was two years and hadn't had any pain since until Sunday. We had just finished our Halloween Feast of Mummy Meatloaf and Goblin Ribs and I felt like I was getting heartburn. Then the bubble began to grow inside. I walked upstairs to get the meds and could barely make it to the medicine cabinet. I was on the floor writhing in pain. Luckily I was at my parents' house so they could help out. Matt and my dad gave me a blessing and the pain subsided. I felt weak and rested for thirty minutes until another attack came on. A little less painful than the first. My mom said she had those same symptoms and experienced that excruciating pain. She didn't know what it was until she surgery and the surgeon said she had gall stones.

After finding this out I felt hopeful. The next day I went to my doctor who sent me to see a radiologist to get an ultrasound the following day. My mom watched the kids so I can go to my appointments. She's the best mom in the world. My parents are always willing to help me out. Today I called since I hadn't heard from anyone in three days. That's when my doctor said I had gall stones. She said she didn't want to take the gallbladder out. I asked if there was a way to take the stones out and she told me no. She said to stay away from fatty foods and to monitor it. If the pain becomes frequent then we'll "talk".

Hmmm...I want to get a second opinion.

So, there you have it. I'm thirty-years-old and officially an old lady. I've never had any health problems before in my life, so I guess I'm overdue.

5 comments:

aly said...

That officially stinks!

Piper said...

I know how you feel! I did not know how to describe it but you did a great job! I did not have gall stones but I had major problems with my gall bladder while I was on birth control pills. The doctor (regular physician) looked at me straight-faced and told me I needed to see a psychiatrist. I talked to the OB and she took me off the pills. Hello, genius...

Tanya said...

i had gall stones while pregnant with my twins. After the twins were born and could take a bottle I went to the gastro doctor and he said I had a diseased gall bladder and it needed to come out. I had the surgery right after that. I would get a second opinion if i were you. No one wants to go through that pain and from my understanding if it happens once, it will happen again. My mom let hers go a little too long and she had major issues and needed more invasive surgery. Anyway...not fun at all! so sorry.

Pamela Lee said...

I am so sorry! That is no good. I hope you feel better soon! I am so glad your parents are nearby and so supportive! You are very blessed!

Adriann said...

Both my sisters had gall stones in their early twenties, and one of them had her gall bladder removed. You're not old. That really really stinks though, I'm sorry. It sounds completely miserable. I hope the second opinion goes better.