6.01.2010

New Love for Freezer Jam

When my awesome mother-in-law, Momma Karen, came out in April we went to the OC Swap Meet to buy produce. They have wonderful prices for fruits and veggies. We got this huge flat of strawberries for FIVE dollars. It was unbelieveable. I'd been wanting to try to make freezer jam, but never had the courage to do it. So when we got all those strawberries I thought it was a good time to learn. It was incredibly easy and the jam was delicious.

Since berries have been on sale I've been making more jam. Lately it's been a combo of blackberries and raspberries. In a few days I'll be making a jalapeno jam. My mom has been requesting that one for a while. It would be so yummy to pour it over some cream cheese and scoop it up with some wheat thins. In the meantime, we've been putting our jam on crepes, ice cream, in oatmeal, toast, cake...the list goes on an on. Endless possibilities. Make a batch and give some away to friends.

I used the recipe found in the box of the Sure Jell box for the Quick Freezer Jams.
I personally like the less sugar (pink box) Sure Jell. I think I taste the berries more since there's less sugar to overpower it.


3 comments:

Piper said...

So awesome. Glad you tried it- so easy and pretty close to instant gratification- doesn't take too long. :) AND IT IS DELICIOUS! Can't wait to see you!!

Billy and Katie said...

I made it for the first time this year too! I love it, it's so easy and yummy... and my family is impressed. (if only they knew how easy it is)
Next year you'll have to come steal some of my berries. I have 2 raspberry, 3 olliberry and a bunch of strawberry plants and peach, apple and plum trees. All more than I can handle!

Pamela Lee said...

Looks yummy! I hope I am on the list of friends to recieve a jar!